Overall Purpose of the Role
The role will be split into two phases, the initial phase will be to provide electrical network outline designs to support the tendering and estimation team and this will initially last for approximately 18 months. The role will then transition away from outline design activity into delivering tailored HV/LV electrical network design solutions for the Design team.
Electric Outline Design:
- Provide full compliant electric outline designs (HV/LV) to the estimating team by working closely with the estimating, design and sales team and externally with the client.
- Ensure the most cost effective multi utility solution is designed, compliant with current DNO/IDNO policy, ENA documentation, CDM regs, Codes of Practice, National/International Standards and legislation, company policy/procedures and contract specification including safety compliance, as appropriate and any other construction constraints or risk factors.
- Record the progress and life cycle of each electric outline design in respect to the tendering process, calculations, costs and other influences to maintain a logical auditable trail for each outline design activity
- Liaise and develop relationships with the asset owners and developers to obtain information to further the accuracy of the designs
- Liaise closely with clients and manage their expectations throughout the electric network design delivery process
- Liaise with the estimating team to handover completed electric network outline designs for quotation production with special emphasis on any site specific requirements and be available to offer advice during the estimating process as required
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Ensure high quality electric network outline designs are completed accurately, delivered on time, reflecting a cost effective approach, enhancing the reputation of Aptus Utilities in the marketplace
- Liaise closely with Utility Infrastructure Providers, equipment manufacturers and the electric network operators
- Develop and maintain relationships with new and existing clients
- Engage with Gas and Water Designers to co-ordinate the delivery of Multi Utility outline design projects
Electric Network Design:
- Designing individually tailored HV/LV electrical network design solutions and earthing assessments for LV and HV distribution networks for domestic, commercial, and industrial developments. (Single Line Diagrams, circuit diagrams, general arrangements, wiring diagrams, block cable diagrams/schedules, cable specification/sizing calculations, etc.).
- Obtaining approval for individually tailored network design solutions including power distribution earthing.
- Provision of specialist electrical network/substation engineering advice to project stakeholders.
- Participate in multi-utility design handover to the Operations Department, providing any subsequent support and guidance through to final network connection.
- Responsible for the technical compliance of electrical network design to meet the client’s requirements, ensuring they satisfy company quality requirements, they are compliant with current DNO/IDNO policy, ENA Documentation, CDM Regulation, Codes of Practice, National/International Standards and legislation, company policy/procedures and contract specification, including safety compliance, as appropriate.
- Prioritising workflow, ensuring high quality network designs and projects are completed accurately, delivered on time, within budget, enhancing the professional image and reputation of the company in the marketplace.
- Undertake internal technical peer review of designs, prior to design submission.
- Liaise closely with Utility Infrastructure Providers, equipment manufacturers and the DNOs/IDNOs.
- Supporting the Tendering Department and where required provide outline designs.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with new and existing Clients.
- Engage with Gas and Water Designers to coordinate the delivery of multi-utility design projects.
- Mentor, coach, and guide trainee engineers.
Experience and Attributes Required
- Suitable engineering qualification (Degree/HND or equivalent).
- Experience in designing/planning LV and HV electrical utility network infrastructure and substation design.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage multiple diverse projects simultaneously.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience designing LV/HV electrical networks.
- Good understanding of UK power industry including technical standards DNO/IDNO network construction requirements, including a knowledge of G81 documents.
- Knowledge of technical specifications of equipment, substations, cables, and plant.
- An understanding of DNO protection requirements would be beneficial.
- Understanding of the current NERS requirements and be able to provide compliance support.
- Understanding of CDM Regulations and N.R.S.W.A.
- Understanding of ISO09001, ISO14001 & ISO018001.
- Prioritise workflow to ensure that individual projects are completed accurately, on time, within budget and in accordance with KPI metrics.
- Evidence of interest in, and commitment to, the success of Aptus Utilities
- Understanding of and commitment to the company values
- Engage and communicate effectively with Clients and relationship management, providing up to date progress on projects, ensuring Clients expectations are met and where-ever possible exceeded.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to analyse complex electrical data and information.
- Ability to provide the highest levels of customer service, achieving maximum customer satisfaction.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- A team player with the ability to work independently and resolve any design issues.
Reports to: Design Manager
Location: The role can be based at any of our regional offices in the North West, North East, Midlands or Yorkshire.
This is a full-time position working within an office/home environment.
Salary dependent on experience
To apply please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org