We have an exciting opportunity for a Water Network Designer to join our company. The role can be based at any of our regional offices in the North West, North East, Midlands, or Yorkshire.
Job Title: Water Network Designer Reports to: Design Manager
Aptus Utilities are seeking to recruit a strong team player and multi-tasker to join us in the role of Water Network Designer, working directly under the guidance of and reporting to the Design Manager. The ideal candidate will have extensive water network design experience, established relationships within the water industry and be able to demonstrate previous experience within the utility industry.
Main Activities & Duties
- Provide fully compliant water designs, including NAV sites, by liaising internally within the Design Team, Sales, and Operations, and externally with the client, as required.
- Ensure the most cost-effective multi-utility solution is designed, consistent with current water standards, considering the requirements of the Asset Owners, the FRS, the NRSWA, CDM, Water Hygiene practices, Contaminated land and any other appropriate construction constraints or risk factors.
- Record the progress and lifecycle of each design in respect to approvals, variations, calculations, costs, and other influences to maintain a logical auditable trail for each design activity.
- Liaise and develop relationships with the Asset Owners to obtain design approvals or variations thereof.
- Liaise closely with clients and manage their expectations throughout the water design delivery process.
- Attend client meetings and undertake site visits to support the Operations Team, as required.
- Liaise with the Operations Team to handover completed designs for construction with special emphasis on any site-specific requirements and be available to offer advice during construction, as required.
- Produce technical reports in a clear and concise form with good presentational skills.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders and external technical bodies.
- Ensure high quality network designs and projects are completed accurately, delivered on time, within budget, enhancing the professional image and reputation of the company in the marketplace.
- Undertake internal technical peer review of designs, prior to design submission.
- Liaise closely with Utility Infrastructure Providers, equipment manufacturers and the water network operators.
- Support the Tendering Department and where required provide outline designs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with new and existing Clients.
- Engage with Gas and Electric Designers to coordinate the delivery of multi-utility design projects.
- Mentor, coach, and guide trainee designers.
- Liaise with and develop good working relationships with external organisations such as Lloyds Register, OFWAT, NHBF etc where appropriate to ensure that best practice is maintained, and that Aptus Utilities is represented at the highest level.
- Liaise with Water Companies to ensure that Aptus Utilities requirements as an SLO are registered within those companies and are high profile.
- Introduce new systems to meet changing external factors and manage the change.
Essential Skills & Qualifications
- A suitable Engineering Qualification (Degree / HNC or equivalent).
- NVQ Level 3 in Network Mains Design / CABWI Level 3 – Diploma Designing Water Networks.
- Have suitable experience in a similar role with an SLO, Water Company or Civil Engineering contractor.
- Understand and be familiar with current WIRS requirements.
- Have a working knowledge of Water Regulations.
- Understand the importance of the Principles of Hygiene Practices.
- Understand the needs of the Fire and Rescue Services and the constraints of the Water Act thereon.
- Awareness of different working practices across Water Companies.
- Understanding of CDM Regulations and N.R.S.W.A.
- Understanding of ISO09001, ISO14001 & ISO018001.
- Be able to work to demanding targets and objectives.
- Prioritise workflow to ensure that individual projects are completed accurately, on time, within budget and in accordance with KPI metrics.
- Engage and communicate effectively with Clients and relationship management, providing up to date progress on projects, ensuring Client’s expectations are met and where-ever possible exceeded.
- Self-motivated, flexible, with the ability to analyse water data and information.
- Ability to provide the highest levels of customer service, achieving maximum customer satisfaction.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- A team player with the ability to work independently and resolve any design issues.
- IT competent; including Word, Excel, Power-point, Outlook, Microsoft Teams etc.
- Hold a full driver’s license.
This is a full-time position working within a normal office environment.
Salary dependent upon experience
To apply please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org