April is Stress Awareness Month and we’ve been reminding employees about the mental health and wellbeing resources available at Aptus Utilities.
Aptus launched the resources last summer as part of our overall commitment to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our workforce. Employees can now make use of advice and guidance at www.westfieldhealth.com/wellbeingplan.
The website contains useful tips and strategies for coping with stress, as well as help with diet, exercise, improving sleeping and stopping smoking.
We also currently have two fully trained mental health advocates who can provide additional support, and we are pleased to announce that the company will be extending this specialist training to other members of staff in the near future.
When it comes to mental health in the workplace, Time To Change states that around one in three of us has experienced a mental health problem while in employment. The website offers some simple but effective tips on how to help someone who may be struggling (see link below).
There are a plethora of resources available on this subject and we have listed just a few further on. The NHS website contains extensive advice on how to access services and where to go for help with specific issues.
REMEMBER: “You don’t have to be an expert to be in your colleague’s corner; listening and not judging are some of the most significant things you can do.”
Other links and contacts are also available, including:
- www.thecalmzone.net/help/get-help – this website is aimed primarily at men and includes webchats and useful phone numbers (opening hours detailed on website).
- www.time-to-change.org.uk – this website offers advice on helping others including your friends, colleagues or children.
- SupportLine – email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 01708 765200 – for anyone.
- www.mind.org.uk – website for anyone experiencing stress and other mental health issues.
- HOPE Line UK – Tel: 0800 068 41 41; Text: 07786209697 – available for people having suicidal thoughts (designed for people under the age of 35).